Monday, July 15, 2013

Too Close by Elizabeth Krall

Too Close Synopsis
What rules would you break for the one you love? What lies would you tell? Three weeks before their wedding day, Nicola and Greg discover that they may have the same mother. They met when Greg joined the San Francisco newspaper where Nicola is the travel editor. After six months, eager to start a life together and raise a family, they decide to marry. When Nicola finally meets his family in Seattle, and mentions the circumstances of her adoption, Greg’s horrified mother is forced to reveal the shameful secret she has kept for 36 years. As they struggle to deal with her revelation, their relationship is challenged and strained. If his mother’s suspicions are true, they will be forced into a devastating choice: break all of society’s rules and fight for their love, or break their hearts and give each other up. It will be the greatest test their newfound love has faced – and their love may not survive.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book a couple weeks ago and I have to stay it has stuck with me. I keep coming back to "how would I feel" and "what would I do?" if I or a friend was in that situation. I keep flopping back and forth on both sides of this moral dilemma.

In the book, Nicola and Greg fall in love and plan on getting married. When he takes her to meet his parents, his mother reveals a secret she has been carrying with her for years. She got pregnant many years ago and gave the baby up for adoption. She believes Nicola is her daughter she gave away.

Now things get interesting. I just couldn't put this book down. They decided to get a DNA test, but the results take 2 weeks. What would you do? Nicola and Greg are in love, they've been together for months. Do they just stop and wait for the results??? Do they continue as they have been and hope for the best? I can't imagine those agonizing 2 weeks. Of course, they are hoping they aren't related so they can get married and start the family they planned. But what if they are related? Then what?

Is Greg's mother also Nicola's mother? You're just going to have to read the book. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book.

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/07/book-too-close-2013-elizabeth-krall.html

    ReplyDelete